WASHINGTON (Reuters) – An American woman and her son who were on a plane with their infant son on board were among the first people in the United States to die in a drone strike in Yemen, state media said on Friday.
The death of the father, a retired U.S. Army general and a senior military official in Yemen’s government, is the second drone strike to hit a child in recent weeks, raising questions about the safety of U.N.-backed peace talks aimed at ending a decades-long civil war.
“The U.P. has informed the U. S. government of its death,” the official Sana news agency said, referring to a statement from the United Nations.
“It has been decided that the U.,S.
government will notify the UPD of the Uptime of the deaths of the families members of the victims.”
The UPD said it would notify families, friends and others who may have been present.
The Yemeni government, which has been fighting the Houthi rebels for several years, has not publicly announced the death of its own, and has accused Saudi Arabia of being behind the attack.
The strikes have killed hundreds of civilians, according to U.K.-based Human Rights Watch.
Human Rights Watch also said on Thursday that at least two children were among those killed in a strike in the northwestern province of Marib, on the Saudi border, in late September.
On Friday, the UPC, the main Yemeni government body, said the UPA and Houthi forces had agreed on the safe transfer of the son of its security chief.
The Houthis and their allies, the government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, have said the boy is being held captive by the Saudi-led coalition.
The UPA also said that it would pay $200,000 in compensation to the family of the pilot who was killed.
The pilot, who was identified as Ali al-Nadawi, had been based in Saudi Arabia, where the UPRC has an embassy.